In which being engaged sucks.

Posted by Katherine Swing On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 0 comments
After countless moments of impatience and venting over cheesy bread, Say Yes To The Dress, or Iron Chef (depending on the day and friend), I would like to apologize. 

Because being engaged sucks. 

Being engaged for five months sucks, so my heart is in literal pain imagining the friends I've known and know with longer engagements. 

The proposal is wonderful. The high afterwards is wonderful. The initial wedding planning is, for the most part, wonderful. 

And then, you start planning for the after-wedding. You get your first big-girl job. You talk with various couples in pre-marital counseling. You discuss financial plans. You go house-hunting. You rent a duplex. You fill out registries. 

You do all of this stuff in preparation for being husband and wife and find yourself wondering, "Why the eff aren't we married yet?"

Why do I have to wait another two-and-a-half months?

An engagement is a wonderful, beautiful increase in commitment level - and then more freaking waiting. But waiting with a purpose and a plan and a zillion questions that can't really be answered yet because you're waiting

I'm sick of waiting.

But then, someone walks up and says, "Wow, there are only, like, ten more weeks until you're a married woman!"

Gulp.


0 comments to In which being engaged sucks.

Post a Comment