Looking on Facebook and Twitter, it seems that a good chunk of my friends that are student teaching are incredibly excited and very busy. This has not been my experience so far, which worries me because perhaps I should be excited and busy right now. While I am enjoying myself and learning, my days are going by pretty slowly and I have a good chunk of down time every night.
Let me explain how my past couple of days have gone.
Throughout the course of a week, three classes in each of six grades meets twice for music for thirty-five minutes, with the sixth grades split between general music and beginning band. Every day is completely different in regards to what grades meet when. Because each day is so incredibly different and Mrs. Snider and Mr. Siasoco wanted me to observe every class at least once before I start teaching, I've been watching all week. This isn't unusual, because the cooperating teachers are required to have us observe for at least a week before any teaching starts. I enjoyed it the first day or so, but now, I'm a bit bored and want to start teaching. I'll get to start that by the middle of next week, so I'm sure things will get busy very soon.
I'm trying to work ahead on my Teacher Work Sample, but the problem is that it's supposed to be about a week-long unit in the same class. I only see the same class twice a week, so what should I do? Spread it out over a month? And of course, Northwest hasn't officially started their semester, so eCompanion is all closed down and there's only so much schoolwork I can do.
In summary, I'm learning but I'm restless. I want to start teaching, but I'm also a little nervous about doing that. I honestly have no idea what I've gotten myself in to, and it seems as if I'm the only one that feels that way.
0 comments to Student Teaching, take one.