On my Monday pre-sprint run, my left quad cramped up big time. Instead of running 3 miles, I got about 1 in before my thigh spazzed out. Again, it's a cramp. You just loosen and warm it up. I ran-walked the rest of the 3 miles, but when Keith came to do the sprints with me, I told him that I really didn't think I was going to be able to do them. We rescheduled to Tuesday.
Tuesdays are gym days. I went to Curves and my quad was super tight, but I figured that I had my whole workout to get it loosened up before I did my sprints. I met Keith afterwards and, since we went to a different track, we walked a lap to find all of the lines we needed.
We started our first sprint. Two feet in, I felt like someone simultaneously overstretched my muscle and stabbed it with five knives. This feeling ripped up my leg and I fell. Obviously, sprints didn't happen that day. Keith went into physical therapist mode and got me taken care of.
As far as the rest of this week is concerned, no more gym. I'm not running today, although I'm supposed to. I'm taking a short run on Thursday and then running 6 miles on Saturday rather than 9. I'm really not happy.
Keith says I'm overtraining. That I should actually rest on the rest days, not go to the gym, and that I'm stupid for going to the gym and a Zumba class before my Saturday long runs. And maybe he's right. He probably is. Regardless, I'm going to do what he's telling me because if I wind up tearing the muscle, I'm not running for a lot longer than a few days, and the half-marathon will be a no-go.
I'm just frustrated because the whole point of last semester was to build up my muscle base so that I could do this training. I pretty much feel like the definition of a wimp right now.
0 comments to In which less might be more.