The reason my blog won't go viral - I suck at coming up with titles.

Posted by Kat Famuliner On Friday, January 13, 2012 0 comments
When I did my week out experience, I sort of fell in love with those beginning band/middle school kids and decided that my high schools days might be over. A week and a half into student teaching, I may have changed my mind again. I have always adamantly said that I'd never teach elementary music, that I couldn't imagine teaching the basic fundamentals of something that has become second nature to me. There's no way that I could explain the phonics of the English language - I don't think about them, I just do it, and I wouldn't be able to break it down to save my life. The same applies to music. How does one describe concepts like high? low? beat? And if I could break it down and spit it out, I'm pretty sure I only could approach it from one direction so as soon as one of those adorable snot balls needed it explained differently, I'd be up at the front going, "Um... uh... coloring pages!!" Yet the more involved I've gotten with actually teaching the classes, the more I'm enjoying it. So far, I'm teaching 2nd and 3rd grades. I'll start 5th today, 4th next week, and K and 1st the week after. I'm also already doing the 6th grade beginning band classes. I like that I'm getting both in the same eight weeks because it's serving for a nice comparison. I can't really describe it, and maybe it will change over the course of the semester, but I actually feel more confident and in my element with the younger kids. I haven't had any issues explaining things... yet. Honestly, my harder moments have been in the band class. I only have so many tips and ways to help those poor trombones before I'm at a loss and I give up on #43 - Michael Finnegan.

In other news, I'm either allergic to leeks, parsnips, lavender-scented laundry detergent, Dalmatians, little kids, or hot tub chemicals. Laugh at me, but I'm serious. You could play connect the dots on parts of me right now. Is it possible to get chicken pox twice?

Mom suggested something last night that I've never considered and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. She asked if I had any time to throw my creativity into writing. Um, well, that was out of the blue Mom, but I've started blogging again and it's helping me get through this little limbo period I'm in. Note: I used to write all of the time. I was actually pretty good at it. Then, you know, stuff happened... like show choir, musicals, jazz band, student council, tennis, FTA, FCA, marching band, blah blah blah. She said that maybe it would be good to submit some articles to publications or something like that. Now, this was done via text late at night. One of those conversations where I fall asleep waiting for her to text back and wake me up again. I caved around this point and asked her to e-mail me some clarification, that I had to get to sleep. I'm still waiting for clarification, but while I'm waiting, I'll think through this. The thing is - what would I write? And if I did, who on earth would publish it? I know she's not thinking novel or short story type of things (hence "articles"), but what, then? And even if I had the time to do something of that size and scope, I don't have near the talent for that. My thought is that maybe I could transform my blog, market it more (or at all), write for an audience more than just myself. I'm not sure. This suggestion just came out of nowhere.

What is it with ideas coming up out of the blue? Opening a gym, purposefully writing, working with elementary kids... nothing in my life is concrete right now. I can't get my feet under me, and even if I did I wouldn't know what direction to point toward. All God seems to be saying on the matter is to trust Him. I'm really hoping for clarification on something this weekend at Mobilise.

0 comments to The reason my blog won't go viral - I suck at coming up with titles.

Post a Comment