I have absolutely fallen in love with Northgate Middle School, I'm learning so much from the extraordinary model there, and it's gotten me thinking. Here are my thoughts so far.
Pros:
The students are more enthusiastic and willing to learn.
I'll be able to lay the foundations for future musicians.
I'll be able to teach percussionists proper technique right off of the bat.
I won't have the responsibilities of marching band, pit orchestra, jazz band, swing band, etc.
I'll have more time to spend with my future family.
Middle school kids can do incredible things, things that many high schools do, if I challenge them.
Cons:
I won't be able to work with drumline.
Rehearsals will contain more technique building than musicality detailing.
Response to Cons:
- Many non-percussion high school directors hire a "percussion tech" to work with their drumline. I could do that, depending on what time commitment was necessary for that.
- I am honestly perfectly fine working technique and teaching notes/rhythms at the sacrifice of deep balance/blend work.
- I really do think that I'll be able to affect inner-city kids lives' at that level, perhaps more so than at the high school level.
So... yeah. I'm pretty convinced and incredibly excited. =)
0 comments to Going Middle School!