![]() |
| I promise we didn't wear the race shirts DURING the race. =) |
Some pros! I ran my first 5K last Friday - the Moonlight Run in St. Joseph. I ran it with Keith, his dad, and his sister, who ran/walked it but when she ran, she sprinted and I was super impressed with how fast she could turn her legs over. Although the sun was down, it had stormed earlier that morning and it was super humid, although the rain did cool the 95+ temps down a little. It was a mostly flat out-and-back course, which was a nice change from the super hills of Maryville. I ran it in 34:21. That's not a time I'm super proud of, because I know I could've run faster. Part of me wanted to stay with Keith since he was working so hard to stay with me, but I'm not going to put that on him. Also, my left knee started acting funny during the last stretch, which was weird because I've run quite a bit further than that before without any problems, but after it messed up in June, it's just kind of had a mind of its own. Still, all of that aside, I ran my first race! And I ran at a pretty good pace for where I'm at. I was on a high all of the next day, I was so excited! I wish I could go back to the time where I had to fill out a million scholarship applications. NOW I know what my greatest accomplishment is. =)
I went to St. Joseph yesterday and Keith asked if I wanted to help him break in some new running shoes. He said he didn't want to run very far, so although I had already ran and Zumba'd that day, I was, like, sure! But then, he drove to the track and we did fartleks. Oh goodness, I am NOT a speed runner! This is definitely something that I need to add to my routine - and fully plan to, once I see how school changes my schedule and what's manageable. Anyways, he definitely ran faster than me, but I got a mile in at 8:51 and then a half mile in at 4:12. My run this morning definitely reflected that. Although I still averaged about 10:39/mi, I ran the first mile in 9:14. That wore me out for the rest of the run, but it was a good little try! Considering that my legs were fried from the fartleks the night before, I think that was a pretty good run.
With band camp starting next week, I spent Monday and Tuesday tuning drums, wrapping sticks, copying music, planning a drumline instrumentation... I wasn't excited for marching band this year. Not at all. But now, I feel it growing in me, that little bubble of excitement that always sinks it. Especially since Keith and I watched the Central band practice yesterday after running and just hearing the marching band sound, watching the corps-like intensity... I'm so excited!!

0 comments to Plateau And More