Osama Bin Laden was found and killed yesterday. He had been living as a fugitive since, what, 2003? 2001? When everyone says 9-11, nobody ever says the year and I apparently forget things. Anyways, that’s a long time to be looking for somebody, and now he’s been found and killed. The United States was rejoicing yesterday, and probably still is today. And that’s what bothers me.
I didn’t find out about any of this through the news or websites because I’m still waiting on my service to get connected. I found out because Twitter and Facebook absolutely exploded. And while yes, I think that Bin Laden was a horrible and vile man, a murderer and a terrorist, it is just as horrible and vile how much people are celebrating a death. It’s animalistic, it’s disgusting, it’s… scary. Although Bin Laden was an evil man, he was still a man. He was still a human being, and regardless of how just his death may be, it is still a death. I’m not saying we should plan a wake or that Bin Laden didn’t deserve death, but the reactions are just jolting. The United States is celebrating killing a man. Killing a man!! And let’s face it, killing him isn’t going to fix anything. The whole terrorist pact, Al Qaeda, is still out there, and are we naïve to think that there won’t be retribution? Nothing has actually been accomplished but the death of the man who organized the 9-11 attack.
Because of this development, everyone is praising Barack Obama. I personally don’t know how I feel about the man. When school is busy, I get into a little political plastic bubble where I have no idea what’s going on, so I honestly can’t say if I like him or not because I have no idea what he’s been doing. But if Bin Laden were found while George W. Bush was still President, people would be praising him too. We hand out far too much credit and far too much blame. We’re ridiculously fickle. What did Obama even do? It’s the military who found Bin Laden, not Obama. Judging from Facebook and Twitter, many people now think that United States troops will be sent home now. Oh goodness. We have our feet wet in more countries than just Afghanistan, which I have my opinion about as well, and just because we killed Bin Laden doesn’t mean that we’re done there either. Like I said before, there will be some sort of backlash. We’re not going to be leaving.
Nothing has actually happened but the death of a man. And for that, we’re throwing a party?
“‘For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,’ declares the Lord God.” Ezekiel 18:32
0 comments to Celebrating Death?